A blog about games, gamers, and various and sundry geek culture-related ephemera and paraphernalia.

Friday, August 7, 2009

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

When I undertook the task of examining each frame of TSR's 1980's-era comic ads, I originally intended to only do so with the pair I posted this past Monday. As I published the second dissected-ad post, it occurred to me that I might need to consider performing the same post-mortem procedure on the remaining ads.

Well, judging from the interest those posts generated, it looks like my posting schedule for next week has been decided: I'll be taking a look at the remaining ads.

I stole a little time yesterday to flip through my collection of 80's comics looking for all of the ads, just to make sure I have a complete set. As a result, I came up with eight mini-adventure ads, running from August, 1981, through September, 1982. I'm fairly certain that's the extent of TSR's mini-adventure ad campaign, since the next D&D ad I found after that was a boring, product-based ad, and no other mini-adventure ads appeared in any of my comics past that date.

I've covered the first two of these ads already, so starting Monday I'll take my scalpel to the "Ad 3":

. . . . .

4 comments:

  1. Oh Indel, what hijinks will you get yourself into next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the dragon is using "worm" as an insult.

    Or do dragons not like the term "wyrm"? Eh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saren has that serious push-up bra action going on, doesn't she? Crazy.

    Thanks, Christopher.
    --Willingham rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, images of my youth just came rushing back. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete