And the Winners Are...

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth (well, maybe not so much), the winners of the One Page Dungeon Design Contest have been announced.

I was really hoping that The Gray Goblin Warrens would sneak into the "Best Old School Dungeon" slot, but I guess it just wasn't in the stars. It did make it into a runner-up slot though ("Best Hack-n-Slash" - heh) which is very cool - and Heron Prior's Cry of the Gravegod is more than deserving of having bested TGGW for the spot, IMHO.

[Edit: Apparently, the Best Old School Dungeon award actually went to Valley of the Necromancer Kings, which is still a worthy opponent. I could swear the initial post listing the winners had these reversed, though. Ah, well. You know what they say about the mind being the first thing to go...]


In the end, any disappointment I could ever feel over not placing as high as I'd hoped is totally overshadowed by the sheer awe of my little dungeon being ranked among such noteworthies. There was some really amazing talent involved in this contest (based on what I saw while browsing the list of 1PD's available online), and I'm happy and honored to have even been a part of it.

Congrats to all of the 1PD Design Contest winners and kudos to everyone else who entered. Can't wait 'til next year's contest. (This is the first annual, right? Right?)
. . . . .

Comments

  1. I wasn't sure if that was you or not. Awesome.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end of judging I had a small stack of 7 favorites that I had to somehow sort out. The Gray Goblin Warrens was in it (as was Lord Kilgore's Crumbling Dungeon!).

    The OS Winner was actually Valley of the Necromancer Kings, Cry of the Gravegod was Best NS.

    Excellent work, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sham: "The OS Winner was actually Valley of the Necromancer Kings, Cry of the Gravegod was Best NS."

    Am I losing it? I could swear Chatty's post had those reversed when I read it this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I losing it?

    I lost it a long time ago. It's overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were a judge, you'd have won first place. Gray Goblin Warrens is an awesome dungeon!

    I actually ran it last night for my party of regular B/X players and it was their favorite dungeon in the campaign so far.

    I consider myself a good dungeonmaster / module designer, but I take my hat off to you for weaving such a tangled web of traps, mystery, and frenetic fighting on one page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Alexander: Thanks for the compliments! It's great to hear that your players enjoyed the dungeon as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the nice words about Cry of the Gravegod, but I think Gray Goblin Warrens may be truer to what the guys were originally thinking about for this contest. It's very clear and concise, and any competent DM could pick it up and run it with five or ten minutes prep and have a blast.

    For mine, I realize I crammed more exposition in there than was strictly necessary, which might make it more difficult to drop into an existing campaign.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment