A blog about games, gamers, and various and sundry geek culture-related ephemera and paraphernalia.

Monday, December 29, 2008

On the Topic of Bulettes

I've only recently discovered Jeff's Gameblog, an excellent blog devoted to my first RPG love and more. (So I've been living under a rock... sue me!) I was reading Jeff's post on The Incomplete Pictorial History of the Bulette and was struck by the omission of my favorite graphical representation of the "land shark." (I know, I know, the title said it was incomplete...)

Here it is, from the pages of S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks:



I think this was my favorite illustration from S3 from the first time I flipped through the module. I loved Jeff Dee's work on the early TSR products, and this one in particular sparked my imagination. I loved how unceremoniously the bulette had been dumped from the hold. And I'd love to see Dee's take on what the scene would look like a couple of rounds later - when the bulette awoke and decided to take out his misfortune on the closest living things at hand: the PC's! (Note the wizard in the right side of the illustration - probably the smartest member of the party, and he's already running for the hills...)

No comments:

Post a Comment